Friday, December 16, 2011

Author Talk & Book Signing

Hello All!
I want to invite you all to my first Author Talk and Book Signing for my novel, "Illuminating Crystal."  The event will be held on Sunday, January 15 from 1 - 3 p.m.  The fabulous book store Magus Books & Herbs is hosting this event for me.  Their address is 1309 1/2 4th Street. Minneapolis, MN.  Follow this link for directions and information about this store. Magus Books.
I want to say that it is incredibly apropos that my first Author Talk and Book Signing will be held in this book store, and I'll tell you why.  When I began this novel more than fifteen years ago, I knew that I wanted to set my story in the city of Minneapolis; why I don't know, I just did.  It felt right.  And so, my character Crystal, in the first pages, is walking down 4th Street in Dinkytown (the thriving community just north of Minneapolis that surrounds the city's college campus), and she comes upon a bookstore with a purple door.  Now, let me say  that I saw all of this in my head.  I had been to Dinkytown once, maybe twice as a college student, but I only drove through, never really paying much attention to any stores or restaurants.
So here's where it gets cool.  The Magus Book store is on 4th street, right? And, it has a purple door! And, it happens to be a favorite store of my daughters, Claire and Madelynn.
So, can you gather where this is going?
Let's back up a bit, one day last fall right before I released my book, my daughter Claire calls me on the phone.  "Mom! You'll never believe where I am.  I'm at this really cool bookstore in Dinkytown that has a bunch of crystals and stuff.  I think you should sell your book here; I think it will fit right in!" (As of yet my daughters have not read my book.  Will they ever? I don't know.  I think it's a mom-daughter thing.  But they know the jist of my story as I've talked about it with them for fifteen years).
Anyway, I ask Claire, "What's the name of the store?" She says, "Magus Books." I pause and wonder to myself, where have I heard of this place before? Then I remember that I am 'friends' with SchaOn Blodgett on FB, the bookstore's event planner and I was intending on contacting him, but as yet I didn't know where the store was located, I just really liked the name of the book store.  And then, only a few weeks later, a few days after the release of my book, SchaOn contacts me and invites me to talk about my book. (I still don't know the bookstore has a purple door.)
Well, now it's all coming together in my head as very serendipitous, as many things about my book have proven over the last few years.  (I'll be talking about these 'fey' events during my author talk!) I contact ShaOn and accept the invitation and when I learned that the bookstore's front door was purple, well, I had to laugh.  For those of you who have read my book, you'll understand why this is such a kismet kind of a thing.  The only thing is, you won't find Cosmo and Adam, Crystal or Claire lurking around any corners. But if you come to my event, you will find me!
Enjoy your life!
Paula
Feel free to visit my website: www.pbmorlen.com
 


No comments:

Post a Comment